There is good news for the employees associated with the IT sector. The Ministry of Commerce of the Central Government has given permission to the employees of units of IT / ITES companies located in the Special Economic Zone (SEZ) to work from home till December 2023. A notification in this regard has also been issued. Has been issued. It will benefit those employees who are temporarily disabled, who are traveling and working away from the office.
The commerce department further amended the SEZ rules to liberalize work from home for SEZ units. The Department of Commerce vide notification dated 14.07.2022 has amended the Special Economic Zone (SEZ) Rules to incorporate a new Rule 43A to enable Work From Home (WFH) for SEZ units. In addition, the Department of Commerce had also issued a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) vide instruction dated 12.08.2022 for judicious implementation of the amended rule in all SEZs.
Subsequent to notification of Rule 43A and issue of instructions dated 12.08.2022, Department of Commerce has received further representations from NASSCOM and entities seeking more flexibility in WFH facility. The matter was examined in the Department of Commerce in consultation with the stakeholders and accordingly, Rule 43A was substituted by the new rule vide Notification No. GSR 868 (E) dated 08.12.2022.
This way you will get benefit
According to the commerce ministry, unit owners of companies located in SEZs will have to inform the development commissioner of the respective areas to allow them to continue operating from the premises. With the approval letter, she will be able to continue with the campus. The unit whose employees want to work from home even further, can inform them by mail in this regard on or before the date of starting work.
Highlights of the Notification
- The WFH regime has been liberalized significantly based on consultations held with all stakeholders.
- The previous permission-based system has been converted into an information-based system.
- WFH may be provided up to 100% to all employees of SEZ units. WFH allowed up to 31.12.2023.
- Units already availing the facility of WFH under the earlier arrangement can email up to 31-01-2023.
- Entities desirous of having WFH facility in future may email a notification on or before the WFH launch date.
- Hybrid mode of working has become a norm, especially in the IT/ITeS sector, after the disruptions caused by the pandemic.
- Representatives of IT/ITES Industry represent before Commerce Ministry to enable units in Special Economic Zones (SEZs) to adopt hybrid mode of working and provide Work From Home (WFH) facility to employees of SEZ units was.
- This decision has been taken keeping in view the genuine requirements of the industry and the scope of benefits that this facility would bring to the economies of Tier-2 and Tier-3 cities.